Relationship breakdown and divorce
The breakdown of a relationship is often one of the most stressful times in life. With so much to think about – the loss of a partner, the future of the family home, the arrangements to be made for the children – it is easy to become overwhelmed. Our specialist team of divorce lawyers and family law solicitors can advise you on all aspects of relationship breakdown and will guide you skilfully through the stormy waters of separation and into calmer seas beyond.
We have a large team of divorce lawyers based in Southampton and Winchester specialising in family work and we are ranked as the pre-eminent team in the region. With experience ranging from a few years’ qualification to senior partner level, we will be able to offer you exactly the right lawyer for your case.
Every one of us is qualified not only as a solicitor, but also as a collaborative lawyer and/or mediator, which means that we are able to bring different qualities to the way in which we will handle your case. You will find us uncompromising in our professional approach, yet sensitive to your individual needs. We will always listen carefully to your story, and we will represent you in a manner which is tailored to suit you and to promote the best outcomes for you and your children.
Some of the issues we can help with:
- Divorce, separation from your cohabitant and dissolution of civil partnerships
- Financial claims on divorce or dissolution of civil partnership
- Cases involving an international element whether because you or your partner are not a British national, or because some or all of the assets are overseas
- Financial claims following a foreign divorce
- Cases involving family owned businesses, from sole traders to complex, multi-layered business structures
- Future ownership of jointly owned property when an unmarried relationship breaks down
- Cases involving family trusts, from the most simple to the most complex, including multi-layered off-shore structures
- Child Arrangements orders – previously residence and contact orders
- Financial claims on behalf of children whether you are married to the other parent or not
- International relocation of children
- Other issues concerning children, such as their education or a proposed move away from the area
- Financial claims by or on behalf of adult children, such as maintenance whilst they are studying
- Pre- and post- nuptial agreements
- Living together agreements
- Occupation of the family home (perhaps following violence or threats of violence)
- Personal protection orders
You are welcome to call us for an initial chat. You will find us friendly, approachable and responsive to your individual needs.
- Affordable Options
- Children’s issues
- Collaborative law
- Expert Witness Litigation & ADR Support
- When Relationships Begin
- When Relationships End
Chambers & Partners Legal Directory 2016: The Team is known as being an outstanding family and matrimonial team offering integrated advice on tax, trust, property and corporate matters relating to divorce and separation. Also esteemed for its work in children matters and continues to draw acclaim for its ADR strengths.
“Everyone I have met or spoken to at Paris Smith has been friendly, professional and given an extraordinary level of client care. They’re a focused practice, whose exceptional care made a very unpleasant situation an almost pleasant experience!”
Mediator and trained collaborative lawyer Neil Davies has longstanding experience in financial matters and children cases. Market commentators are quick to praise his “unflappable and calm” approach towards the most complex issues.
Department head Huw Miles is “meticulous in terms of detail with a calm and friendly manner,” notes a source. A specialist in nuptial agreements and wealth protection advice, he is also collaboratively trained.
Frank Prior is recognised for his work on cases involving high-value assets. “He has incredible people skills and is able to handle difficult, controversial, unexpected situations diplomatically and calmly. I have consequently highly recommended his services to others,” enthuses a client.
Legal 500 2015 Edition: The team at Paris Smith LLP has a longstanding presence in the region, and is distinguished by the combined experience of its key members. Partners Neil Davies, Frank Prior, Sarah Passemard and senior associate Rachel Osgood are the other names to note.
Recent Family Law Blogs
- Late expectations
- What’s yours (documentation) is mine and vice versa?
- Good divorce week : A better way
- Summer lovin’, happy at last! (But did you remember to get divorced first?)
- Divorce form error ‘could have led to unfair settlements’
Collaborative law in practice
Hear from the people who really matter: the clients. The couple in this film are real-life graduates of the collaborative law process who have agreed to share their experiences. In it, they talk about the process itself, some of the difficult issues in their case, and what the process has meant for their future as a family. To find out more about collaborative law follow this link.